Introduction to Indian Scriptures
Any meaningful study of India’s spirit and culture must include exploring and studying at least some fundamental aspects of the key Indian scriptures. Here we focus our attention to three of our most ancient scriptures – the Vedas, the Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita. We learn about the significance of the scriptures, the right spirit in which to approach the scriptures, and the relevance of study of scriptures for our present times. We explore a bit about each of these scriptures, learning some key details about them and particularly their essential teachings. We examine how the Indian scriptures are essentially reflective of the progression of the Indian spiritual traditions. We also see a few examples from the Vedas, Upanishads and the Gita.
- Gain an introductory knowledge of the key Indian scriptures – the Vedas, the Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita.
- Understand the difference between the Shruti and Smriti
- Develop an appreciation of the evolution of Indian spiritual traditions as reflected through the Indian scriptures.
- Gain an understanding of the right way to approach the study of scriptures.
- Learn a few distinguishing characteristics of the Vedas, Upanishads and the Gita.
- Gain a basic understanding of key teachings of the Vedas, Upanishads and the Gita.
- Explore the present relevance of the study of Indian scriptures.
- Develop a sense of reverence for the great spiritual traditions of India as reflected in the ancient Indian scriptures.